Recipe: Rapid Ragu

I love Nigella Lawson.  I have all of her cookbooks.  I love her recipes even if I don't make all of them.  I love how she describes food- she makes it magical.  Every single description and word she utters about food is poetry.

This recipe is based on her Rapid Ragu in the cookbook Nigella Express.  I have changed it quite a bit and possibly massacred it in her eyes but I make it with what I have on hand.  And to me (never really having the original version), it is great.

2 tbsp canola oil
1 onion
a few slices of bacon, I have used both already cooked, leftover from breakfast and raw bacon both with great success
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes 14.5oz
3/4 cup white wine (I usually use Pinot Grigio)
1/2 cup lentils
3/4 cup water

Saute onion in oil until starting to brown.  Add the bacon and cook either until the bacon is cooked though, if using raw, or heated, if using pre-cooked.  Add the garlic, stir a few times and the add ground beef.  Break up the ground beef as it is browning.  Once it is browned, add the lentils and wine.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes to let the wine reduce a little.

Add the water and diced tomatoes.


Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes.  Then uncover and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts